History of Oblates of t. Francis de Sales
History of the Oblates of Saint Francis de Sales
The Oblates of St. Francis de Sales, a religious congregation of priests and brothers founded in France in 1875 by Father Louis Brisson, came to the United States in 1893.
The primary goal of the Oblates is to “Live Jesus,” to imitate Christ, following the optimistic spirit and teachings of their founder while ministering to the people of God in the modern world in a gentle and humble way in the spirit of their patron, St. Francis de Sales.
The Oblates have been serving the Catholic people of North Carolina since 1966. Today, the Oblates staff parishes throughout the Unites States. See below for listing.
The ministry of the Oblates in North Carolina began as the result of a close friendship between Father William D. Buckley, OSFS, and Bishop Vincent S. Waters of the Diocese of Raleigh. Both had great plans for the Oblates in North Carolina.
Father Joseph Maule, OSFS, named Pastor of St. Barnabas Parish in Arden on January 19, 1966, was the first Oblate to take up residence in North Carolina. Shortly thereafter, in May of 1967, Father Anthony Dougherty, OSFS, was named Principal of Asheville Catholic High School.
The Oblates, at present, serve the Church in the following dioceses
|Charlotte Diocese||Venice Diocese|
|Philadelphia Archdiocese||Wilmington Diocese|
|Raleigh Diocese||Other Oblate and Salesian Links